Not uploading images

I moved my Revive Adserver (and whole site) to a different server and since I've done this, I get an error notice when log in:

Error: File permission errors detected.
These may impact the accurate delivery of your ads,
See the debug.log file for the list of unwritable files

I get this notice even though all folders have the required permissions - I double and triple checked this.

The notice doesn't bother me, but my problem is that I cannot upload any new images/ads. I press the upload button, choose the file, save and get no error. But the new image doesn't show - it wasn't uploaded. I wanted to upgrade the version of the Revive Adserver, but it requires PHP 5.3 and my site can only work properly with 5.2. 

Any ideas as to what I can do? Perhaps I can upload the images directly to the server and change the database to point to them, somehow?

Thanks,

Yoni

It's full of "Automatic Maintenance Task" notices. There is a database related error that keeps showing (it doesn't mention what year): 

May 31 20:39:55 +0000 OX-556b719b2678e [    error]  Error connecting to database to obtain locking object. Native error follows:
May 31 20:39:55 +0000 OX-556b719b2678e [    error]  MDB2 Error: connect failed : connect: [Error message: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)]

Also this:

Jan 08 22:05:16 +0000 OX-maintenance-5690329ae9e39 [ critical]     ERROR: Could not prune aggregate bucket data from the 'data_bkt_m' bucket table
Jan 08 22:05:16 +0000 OX-maintenance-5690329ae9e39 [ critical]     Error message was: MDB2 Error: Array

Jan 09 21:05:00 +0000 OX-maintenance-569175fc163fc [    error]     ERROR: Could not migrate aggregate bucket data from the 'rv_data_bkt_c', 'rv_data_bkt_m', 'rv_data_bkt_r' bucket table(s)
Jan 09 21:05:00 +0000 OX-maintenance-569175fc163fc [    error]     Error message was: MDB2 Error: Array

No errors from the days I log in. But could these be related? 

(PS can I remove some of the old logged data - the file is getting pretty big)

Thanks,

Yoni

Yes, just delete debug.log, a new one will be created when needed. Next, open the application in the browser and log in. When you see that message about the file permissions, look in the new debug.log and you should see the cause of the warning message.

Do make sure, by the way, that the 'var' folder has write permissions to ensure that the debug.log file can be created in the first place. And I assume that the actual problem you're seeing is caused by incorrect permissions on some of your application folders.

If you also see messages about maintenance, that's almost certainly an entirely different issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your help on this matter. I deleted the  debug.log file and when I log in, I still see the permission error, but the server did not create a new debug file. The folder permissions are 755 so I suspect that as before, it does not record the problematic files. I also don't understand why there is a permission problem, as all folder are 755 and all files are 644. Isn't that was should be defined? Is there perhaps another way to find out what is the problem?

Update: it did create the log file, however it seems it did so for the maintenance notifications, no mention of permission errors =/

OK, I set all the folders and files to 777, but still get the error. The error notice itself doesn't bother me, my problem is that I cannot upload any new images/ads. I press the upload button, choose the file, save and get no error. But the new image doesn't show - it wasn't uploaded. Perhaps I can tweak the code somehow to show me the problem? or upload the image manually?

• 3 weeks later...

Just for future reference, just tackled this issue too after some searching. Image uploads not working, file permission error message when logging in and debug.log working, but not showing errors.

Check the "webDir" value in your configuration file under "YourOpenX/var/yourdomainame.conf.php" file.

Typical for an upgrade to forget to update the webDir value in the config file.

• 5 months later...

@Joost Gysemans - actually, it's quite deliberate for the upgrade to not change your webDir, because that's where all your images are stored (if you're loading them to a local filesystem). Some installations have massive repositories of images, and migrating them to a new location makes no sense - and causes issues for users who deliberately locate this directory somewhere separate from Revive Adserver (e.g. to serve the images from a separate domain, or use a CDN, etc.)

The need to manage this is mentioned in all of our upgrade documentation :-)

• 8 months later...

had the same problem of images not loading. the new install of 4.0.2 had this in the config file-

webDir="/home/crsurf/public_html/openx-2.8.7/www/images"

changing it didn't work, but copying my images folder from the old directory (version of revive) to the new one did.

• 1 month later...

Also for issues like this when you know your www/images folder permissions are good, don't forget to check the full Local Directory path here:

Configuration > Global Settings > Banner Storage Settings

Tick 'Allow Webserver Local Banners'

Check 'Local Directory' path.

One way to find out if this path is correct is to go to this section in admin and click the save button at the bottom of the page without changing anything. If there's an error it will show up immediately.