Upgrade Error: Unable to locate one or more plugin files

tkat

I have made a number of attempts over the past 4 months to upgrade from ver. 4.1.4 to 5.0.x, the latest effort being a few minutes ago.  

I have successfully made over at least a half-dozen upgrades over the past decade and am familiar with the process.

However, each time in my efforts at upgrading to ver 5x, at the final step I keep getting the error message: One or more plugin files can't be found.  

I have checked the install log and it says the xml files can't be located though the files appear to be there.  This is the same error I have been getting consistently over the many efforts at upgrading.

Would be willing to pay one of the admins a reasonable consulting fee to get this done if necessary!

Thank you.

This error is, I believe, indicating that it cannot access the plugin files in your PREVIOUS installation's directory. 

It looks at your previous installation's plugins, because it's possible to install 3rd party plugins that won't be included in the Revive Adserver release package, but which you would want to have included in your installation after an upgrade - so it looks there and copies them over.

I suspect the issue is the new installer is either being given an incorrect path to your previous install location, or it doesn't have permission to access the previous install.

• 2 months later...

This is what I would speculate as well. I am attempting to update to 5.0.5 and experiencing the same situation. 

Where is the path set? In the config file?

The new plugins folder is blank, as would be expected. The existing plugins folder has plugins. 

Maybe they just need to be copied into the new plugins folder? Or do they too need to go through an installation?

According to these upgrade instructions, which appear to be a few years old...

The upgrade wizard will now find out which plugins are installed in the current version and then install the same set of plugins in the new version. During this step, it will even check if there are any new versions of any of the plugins and if so, it will install those instead of the older versions. Some plugins will actually create or update tables for their own use.

Got a positive update here. In the upgrade instructions in the Section 2 of Performing the Upgrade - Running the Update Wizard, is this paragraph...

After the database changes have been completed, the upgrade wizard will display the folder path of the ‘old’ copy of the ad server. Since we’re actually working in a temporary folder, this should in fact be the folder path of the current, live version of the system. Check and confirm that the path is correct. In some cases, the path might not be pre-filled. In that case, make sure to paste in the full absolute path of your current version. If you don’t know what this means, please consult your hosting provider or system administrator.

When I entered the old server URL, I first entered https://ads.autoconversion.net. Then I tried other variations such as no 'https://' or just 'http://' etc. But not until I tried https://ads.autoconversion.net/ did the wizard move forward. 

Thing is, my entire VPS with Hostgator stopped responding. I was tired and went to bed but this morning my VPS was running so I went back to the update wizard and the update had actually completed successfully. 

So was it the trailing '/' I don't know but that's the last thing I tried that produced a different result. 

Edited by Ryan G
spelling correction due to typo

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2020 at 1:37 PM, Ryan G said:

Where is the path set? In the config file?

Just to round out the thread and confirm, when you upgrade, the upgrade wizard will ask you where the old installation is located, so that it can find the previous installation's plugin files, and copy them over (so that any 3rd party plugins are retained) and upgrade them (if they are core Revive Adserver plugins and need to be updated).

Yes @andrewatfornax what you stated is how the upgrade process occurred. 

Now the only issue I am experiencing on the latest version is that I can not obtain the Invocation Code: 

Just discovered that statistics are not tracking since the upgrade. Got to wonder if this is related or not??

Guess it's time to do some additional research.

Banners are appearing on the sites. I can confirm this. 

As it turns out, it looks like my plugins, while enabled, are failing...

Failed to find package definition file /home/acn/public_html/ads/plugins/etc/openXVideoAds.xml
Failed to find package definition file /home/acn/public_html/ads/plugins/etc/openXDeliveryLog.xml
Failed to find package definition file /home/acn/public_html/ads/plugins/etc/openXInvocationTags.xml
Failed to find package definition file /home/acn/public_html/ads/plugins/etc/openXMaxMindGeoIP.xml
Failed to find package definition file /home/acn/public_html/ads/plugins/etc/openXDeliveryCacheStore.xml
Failed to find package definition file /home/acn/public_html/ads/plugins/etc/openXReports.xml
Failed to find package definition file /home/acn/public_html/ads/plugins/etc/openX3rdPartyServers.xml
Failed to find package definition file /home/acn/public_html/ads/plugins/etc/openXDeliveryLimitations.xml
Failed to find package definition file /home/acn/public_html/ads/plugins/etc/openXBannerTypes.xml

According to the server, these plugins are INSTALLED.

I found this documentation and did as instructed, and it WORKED: https://documentation.revive-adserver.com/display/DOCS/Plugins+Incorrectly+Upgraded

The key here was to IMPORT CODE ONLY. 

Only remaining plugin not firing it openXMaxMindGeoIP

The new .zip file is named 'reviveMaxMindGeoIP2.zip' and all the files in it have a 2 as well. I tried installing that and it won't take. I tried upgrading the legacy plugin - no beans.

Off to more research. Will report back shortly (hopefully).