Individual text under a banner does not work

tobean

Hi,

I'm using Revive for many years and have just updated to version 4.1.1 without any problems. But some updates ago I found a problem which was not present in earlier versions:

Its possible to define an individual text which will be displayed under the banner. In the german version the form field is called "Text unterhalb Banner". I can see the text in the backend preview of the banner but not on the frontend pages where the banner is displayed.

Here is the banner code:

<ins data-revive-zoneid="*" data-revive-target="_blank" data-revive-id="*****"></ins><script async src="***"></script>

What's the mistake or is this a bug?

Thanks in advance for any help!

tobean

Edited by tobean

Hi!

I've found the following hint in the documentation:

"Text below image: Optional text that Revive Adserver will display below the banner creative. This is a quick and easy way to add additional text to a banner without editing the banner creative to include the text.

Please note: Only some invocation tags support the text below image option, and you may need to enable the "show text below banner" setting when generating the tag for the text to appear."

I guess the text below banner option does not work with the asynchrous js tag? Why? Will this be possible in one of the next versions?

Best regards

tobean

Hi @tobean,

Thanks for this - and sorry for not responding sooner. 

You are correct, the Async tag does not support this. The page that is linked in the text you have quoted is https://documentation.revive-adserver.com/display/DOCS/Tag+Settings, and if you scroll down to the "Show text below banner" option, you can see that only JS, SPC, local mode and XML-RPC tag support this.

@Matteo Beccati is definitely the person to confirm this, as he's the async tag expert, but I think that there were "technical reasons" (yes, I'm waving my hands here) where the feature wasn't (can't be?) supported in async tags.

I might be wrong though - but as far as I know, we have no immediate plans to support this.

• 3 weeks later...

The technical reason is that the banner text is appended to the HTML of the ad itself, which is then rendered inside an iframe that cannot account for the extra height.

To be fair, text below banner seems to me a legacy feature that I haven't seen on any website since the early 2000s and I'd be more than happy to see it going.

Hi Matteo,

thank you for your answer.

I cannot agree that text below a banner is obsolete. If you have a page with text parts and ads (banners) you have to mark banners that everybody can see that this part of your page is not editorial. If you have a look at Google Ads you will see what I mean.

tobean