Installation failure - not writing to db tables

bmp500

I'm doing a clean new install of Revive Adserver 3.2.2 on a cpanel linux server with mysql. I verified that my server has all the min requirements.

I created a db and db user in cpanel and assigned the user to the db.

The install seems to go well at first - it asks for db info and then proceeds to create the tables.

It then asks for admin login data and seems to accept that data upon the form submit.

However, at the next screen, it asks me to log in with the credentials just entered and the login fails. If i try a password recovery it says no such email found.  When I look in the db tables, the user data (and apparently all tables) are empty.  So, the system seems to connect to the db and create tables, but is not saving the user info to it.

I do not get any errors except when trying to login as admin.

I am not ever asked to change folder permissions as the installation instructions say I should expect to do.

I've tried this multiple times with minor variations (new db, new db user, different location on the server, ftp all files individually vs expanding the gzip on the server). Always get the same results.

Seems like the answer should be something simple in the setup, as I can't find evidence that others have the same problem.

Please help!

Thank you for your reply. It is still a mystery but apparently no longer a problem.

I checked the var directory and saw an error file that listed being unable to "drop" various tables in the db. Assumed this was due to one of my reinstalls attempting to overwrite the db vs starting with a fresh one.

Looking for a clean set of errors from a clean install attempt I deleted all the files and dropped all the tables from the revive db I had created. Then I attempted another reinstall (using the same directory location, same db and same db user as before). And this time it worked.

I did notice that this time the 2nd step of the installation took longer and displayed popup messages indicating the progress of the install. When finished it took me to the admin panel.  On previous attempts there was no sign of creating the various modules, and when (more quickly) finished it took me to the login screen.

Literally the only difference I can think of this time is that I installed from a Win 10 chrome browser on my laptop rather than the Win 7 chrome browser on desktop. I'm not even 100% sure that I hadn't tried installing from my laptop at some point earlier.

Wish I could provide more details, but glad to have it installed now. Haven't really navigated around the system yet, but it looks functional on my installation.

It just occurred to me: I was never told to change the permissions on any of the folders as the installation instructions tell us to expect. Is that no longer necessary with ver 3.2.2?

Edited by bmp500

It just occurred to me: I was never told to change the permissions on any of the folders as the installation instructions tell us to expect. Is that no longer necessary with ver 3.2.2?

That depends on what the permissions are! If the permissions are okay, and the web server user can write to the files that Revive Adserver needs to be able to write to, then it won't ask you to update the permissions.

Of course, that may mean your write permissions are more permissive than you really would like - so it's worth checking that you don't have *everything* writable.

But glad to hear it's working now.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello, 

I'm doing a clean new install of Revive Adserver 3.2.2 on a cpanel linux server with mysql. I verified that my server has all the min requirements.

I created a db and db user in cpanel and assigned the user to the db.

The install seems to go well at first - it asks for db info and then proceeds to create the tables.

It then asks for admin login data and seems to accept that data upon the form submit.

However, at the next screen, it asks me to log in with the credentials just entered and the login fails. If i try a password recovery it says no such email found.  When I look in the db tables, the user data (and apparently all tables) are empty.  So, the system seems to connect to the db and create tables, but is not saving the user info to it.

I do not get any errors except when trying to login as admin.

I am not ever asked to change folder permissions as the installation instructions say I should expect to do.

I've tried this multiple times with minor variations (new db, new db user, different location on the server, ftp all files individually vs expanding the gzip on the server). Always get the same results.

Seems like the answer should be something simple in the setup, as I can't find evidence that others have the same problem.

Please help!

Sorry for my bad language, I know the same thing, it's impossible to install Revive, I use a Win 10 chrome browser on desktop, but I am not Linux

Can you help me please? Thank you very much

PS : I found the permissions to add on the folders in this forum, but it's doesn't work more,  

Edited by Maes

Maes I'm sorry I really don't know why it worked for me the last time I tried to install it.

The only thing I can suggest is that you use cpanel | file manager and cpanel | database tools to completely remove the files and database for your Revive installation and try again with completely new installation.   That is what I did - although I did try this a couple of times before it actually installed.

Thanks for your reply, I've tried more and more times, completely remove files and database a lot of times, in local and on my server without success

The only thing I success, is to install again and import in the database, the content of old tables of an old openx, but it's doesn't work very well, the banners are not visibles although I give the permissions to the folder (sorry for my bad language)