Varnish And/or Cdn

• 2 weeks later...

We're experiencing an issue with OpenX 2.X and Varnish 3.x. Whenever an OpenX Admin tries to navigate through the backend interface by clicking on any link, OpenX shows the login page.  

For example, an admin logs into the backend and after clicking on the "My Account" link, he will see the login page again.  After logging in a second time, he will see the "My Account" page.

The one thing we've noticed is the sessionID seems to change every request.

We have OpenX installed on two backends with a Varnish proxy (version 3.x) in front. We have a Varnish's director `client` to load balance between the two backends.

Varnish':

director app02 client {
        { .backend = app02a; .weight = 1; }
        { .backend = app02b; .weight = 1; }
    }

vcl_recv(){
        set client.identity = req.http.cookie;
    }

Please advise.

Does this also happen with Revive Adserver?

As of now we're still using older version of OpenX (2.8.x), however if you're know for a fact this should not be happening with newer version of OpenX (Revive), I'll make an effort to upgrade it to latest and greatest) ASAP). Do you know if new OpenX stores session inside of database? So that another web head can pick up wherever the other one left off?

I'm trying out revive-adserver-3.0.5 and I keep getting following message:

You need to enable cookies before you can use Revive Adserver - DISABLED 

I've tried with several browsers: Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari and Microsoft Internet Explorer...

Configuration of your webserver does not meet the requirements of the Revive Adserver.
In order to proceed with installation, please fix all errors. For help, please see our documentation and FAQs

documentation link is http://documentation.revive-adserver.com/

FAQs link is http://documentation.revive-adserver.com/faq

As of now we're still using older version of OpenX (2.8.x), however if you're know for a fact this should not be happening with newer version of OpenX (Revive), I'll make an effort to upgrade it to latest and greatest) ASAP). Do you know if new OpenX stores session inside of database? So that another web head can pick up wherever the other one left off?

No, unfortunately, I don't know if Revive Adserver works with Varnish - not something I have tried yet.

Revive Adserver definitely works fine with multiple web servers, though.

I'm trying out revive-adserver-3.0.5 and I keep getting following message:

You need to enable cookies before you can use Revive Adserver - DISABLED 

It looks like for some reason, Revive Adserver thinks that cookies are not able to be set. Are you able to confirm that cookies are being set by the domain that you're installing Revive Adserver on, in the browser you're using?

• 7 months later...

Revive ad server can't be run from behind varnish. You will have to configure varnish to ignore the subdirectory that you put revive ad server in. Do this by adding the revive ad server subdirectory to the list of directories to ignore in varnish's config, default.vcl, like this example:

if (req.url ~ "^.*/revive-ads/.*$") return (pass);

Revive ad server can't be run from behind varnish. You will have to configure varnish to ignore the subdirectory that you put revive ad server in. Do this by adding the revive ad server subdirectory to the list of directories to ignore in varnish's config, default.vcl, like this example:

if (req.url ~ "^.*/revive-ads/.*$") return (pass);