Upgrading from 4.1.4 to 4.2.1

I've made several attempts to upgrade from ver 4.1.4 to 4.2.1.  This entailed updating PHP to 7.2 as well as uploading a new SourceGuardian file.

On Step 4. Configuration I keep getting the error message "One or more plugin files couldn't be located. Check install.log file for more information.

The log file says:

Starting file-check for plugins...
Plugin: openXAdvancedMobileTargeting - Unable to locate XML files
Plugin: openXBannerTypes - Unable to locate XML files
Plugin: openXDeliveryLimitations - Unable to locate XML files
Plugin: openX3rdPartyServers - Unable to locate XML files
Plugin: openXReports - Unable to locate XML files
Plugin: openXDeliveryCacheStore - Unable to locate XML files
Plugin: openXMaxMindGeoIP - Unable to locate XML files
Plugin: openXInvocationTags - Unable to locate XML files
Plugin: openXDeliveryLog - Unable to locate XML files
Plugin: openXVideoAds - Unable to locate XML files
Plugin: apLoader - Unable to locate XML files
Plugin: apVideo - Unable to locate XML files
Plugin: TrackingPlugin - Unable to locate XML files
Finished file-check for plugins

I've verified that these files all exist in the current install.  

Would really appreciate any insights into this issue.

Thank you.

This sounds like you are either not correctly specifying the location of your old installation during the upgrade, or, if you are, the webserver does not have permission to access the old installation directory and files. (During the upgrade, access to the old installation is needed to bring across various files/settings.)

Thanks for your response, Andrew.

The correct path was specified, at least on the most 2 recent attempts with a fresh database and even a fresh uppacking of the zip install file.

As for permission to access the old install directory and files, I had upgraded on this same server using your prescribed upgrade procedures on 3 prior occasions over the past 3 years and haven't had plugin access issues  in the past.

Is it possible that access may have somehow been prevented due to the PHP switch from 5.6 to 7.2 which was necessary to get ver 4.2.1 to function?

In other words, could the PHP switch have inadvertently created some access issues?  Or possibly issues of reading the plugin xml files from the old install?

No other changes were made to the server.

In another effort at a fresh install I recreated the sql database and reextracted the 4.2.1 files, but with the same result: unable to locate one or more plugin files.

In an earlier effort I tried manually copying the old Plugin directory files and the old www/admin/plugins directory files to the new install.  That allowed me to get through to the new install.  The problem was that none of the plugins were working; the delivery data wasn't being logged and I couldn't access the banner properties UI, so had to retreat to ver 4.1.4.

Is there some way to copy the plugin files manually and make it work on the new install?

Thanks for the suggestions, Andrew.

Tried changing to mysqli and checking the database.  Also, manually copied over to the new install all plugin and www/admin/plugin files.

Still unable to access the UI on most page, including the admin dashboard.

Is there something besides the plugin files that needs to be copied over to the new install since I can't get the new 4.2.1 install to recognize all the plugin files of the old 4.1.4 install.