New user - having geo issues

Hi, all. I'm a new revive user/poster so please excuse me if I've posted this in the wrong place.

I've been using the paid hosted service of another adserver for some time. They have excellent geo detection  but the banner delivery has become sluggish so we need an alternative. Someone recommended revive and I initially planned to use the paid hosted route but decided to install and host ourselves. So far, so spiffing.

I've 'switched on' the geo-targeting facility in admin mode but I'm having trouble with our geo-targeting tests, seeing the wrong banner displayed for countries.

Before I elaborate further, could I please ask this question?

Say I create two banners (Ad1 and Ad2) for one zone. Ad1 is instructed to appear only to UK visitors. Ad2 is not given any geo instructions at all.

Will Ad2 appear (rotate) along with Ad1 for UK visitors?  I asked another revive user this question and got this answer, "Yes although you may seer Ad 1 appear slightly more as there is a Declared association" - which isn't ideal for me if correct. Is he correct?

TIA to anyone who can help. So far, I'm very impressed with revive - it's clearly a big step up from the system I've been using, just gotta get the geo-targeting sorted and I'll be good to go!

Hi @ukescapee,

12 hours ago, ukescapee said:

Say I create two banners (Ad1 and Ad2) for one zone. Ad1 is instructed to appear only to UK visitors. Ad2 is not given any geo instructions at all.

Will Ad2 appear (rotate) along with Ad1 for UK visitors?  I asked another revive user this question and got this answer, "Yes although you may seer Ad 1 appear slightly more as there is a Declared association" - which isn't ideal for me if correct. Is he correct?

For UK visitors, yes, both Ad1 and Ad2 will be shown, as there is no delivery rule associated with Ad1 or Ad2 that prevents the banners from displaying.

It is not the case that Ad1 will be shown more often as a result of its delivery rule. All that delivery rules do is effectively decide which banners from the total possible set of banners that could be shown need to be removed from that set. Once that is done, you have a set of banners which can be shown - and the normal priority selection mechanisms apply.

You can read more here: https://documentation.revive-adserver.com/display/DOCS/Banner+Selection+Mechanism

Hi, Andrew - thanks for your reply and info. So, am I correct in assuming that all I would need to do is set ad A2 to NOT show to the UK?

In short, I'm trying to replicate my existing adserver's set-up where a country-specific banner/ad is displayed to approx 10 different countries (each country having its own banner). Visitors from all other countries never see these banners and instead see a default ad, which I have set to NOT SHOW to the 10 countries that already have their own ads.

I'm sure it's easily done and I'm making hard work of things.

Edited by ukescapee

Hi @ukescapee,

Based on what you are describing, that sounds like a valid solution.

Another solution would be to ensure that the targeted banners are in exclusive campaigns, but the default banner is in a remnant campaign.

Also, another other solution would be to put all your geo-targeted banners into one zone, and the default banner into a second zone, and the zone-chain the two zones.

That way, if a user visits from a country that has a banner which can be shown in the first zone (full of banners that are targeted to specific countries), then they will see the banner for their country.

However, as all the banners in the first zone are targeted, if they are not from any of the countries listed, then no banner will be able to be shown - and then it will chain through to the second zone, and they will see the default banner there.

Either way, this would save you from having to target the default banner to only deliver when users are NOT from the target countries.