Geo Targeting Problems

Hello,

I have an issue with geotargeting. I use the latest version of Revive Ad Server (3.0.3) and MaxMind GeoIP plugin.

Actually there are two issues with geo targeting:

1. In configuration -> Geotargeting Settings I selected MaxMind (Flat file) and checked "Show geotargeting delivery limitations even if GeoIP data unavailable". Without checking that checkbox I cannot select any Geo-* options from delivery limitation checkbox for banners.

2. After adding geotargeting to any banner they are not loading at all. The zones are empty.

Do I need to add any specific configuration? All other things seem to be working fine.

Thanks

Yes, I have enabled and configured MaxMind GeoIP plugin properly, but it works in some random way. For example in one browser it shows correct banners and on another browser on the same machine - incorrect.

Also I tried to reinstall MaxMind GeoIP plugin, but it didn't help.

debug.log doesn't show any errors.

• 3 weeks later...

Actually there are two issues with geo targeting:

1. In configuration -> Geotargeting Settings I selected MaxMind (Flat file) and checked "Show geotargeting delivery limitations even if GeoIP data unavailable". Without checking that checkbox I cannot select any Geo-* options from delivery limitation checkbox for banners.

2. After adding geotargeting to any banner they are not loading at all. The zones are empty.

The two issues are related. :-)

To try to stop people from applying Geo targeting to banners when their Geo targeting plugin isn't working properly, Revive Adserver won't show you the options to adding Geo targeting to banners when the admin interface can't see the GeoIP data.

However, because some (advanced) users set up the admin interface and delivery systems on a different servers (for increased scale), and because some (corporate) users have an internal network that they access the admin interface with (which because of the IP address they use, will not get a hit in the GeoIP database), there is the option to override this "feature" to ensure that users can apply Geo targeting to banners.

So, it looks to me like you have something incorrectly set up, and thus have no GeoIP data to target with - that's why you can't add Geo targeting to your banners without setting the option; and why when you do apply Geo targeting to your banners, they don't show up.

What targeting option(s) are you applying? By default, the "MaxMind GeoIP Plugin" will only provide country information (where available).

• 2 months later...

Hi, 

The problem while working with Geo targeting is geo targeting code can't fetch IP address of client machine.
Although I have upload latest GeoIP.dat file as well as for city I have upload GeoLiteCity.dat, but still it is not working.

Please help!!

• 2 weeks later...