how to setup a development and testing environment

tbobker

I found two pages on the documentation:

setup development environment

setup test framework

Can someone explain the difference?  I am not really sure what the test framework should do?

I was planning on installing revive on my server using git clone and then updating changes locally in my git repository, previewing the changes locally and then updating my server.

Is this best practice?

Development environment - an environment in which you'd make changes to the code base.

Test framework - an environment in which you'd execute the suite of various automated tests that exist.

Using Git to clone Revive Adserver and then use this to run a production system is definitely NOT best practice. We have a note about this on our Git page - we perform specific changes to the code base to create releases for use in production, and you must NOT use a clone of the code base in production.

• 3 months later...

Hi just bringing this up again. 

I forked revive on git, cloned locally and want to develop locally but I am unable to install the development version / the cloned repository to preview the changes in various branches I create.

Can someone advise on the workflow?

OK looks like I didnt install dependencies. I guess once I run this on composer, I can then access the installation wizard.

Install Dependencies

In the Revive Adserver master branch:

• Install the Composer dependency manager for PHP; and
  • Install the required dependencies for the development environment:
php composer.phar install

• 6 months later...
On 1/4/2018 at 11:59 AM, andrewatfornax said:

Development environment - an environment in which you'd make changes to the code base.

Test framework - an environment in which you'd execute the suite of various automated tests that exist.

Using Git to clone Revive Adserver and then use this to run a production system is definitely NOT best practice. We have a note about this on our Git page - we perform specific changes to the code base to create releases for use in production, and you must NOT use a clone of the code base in production.

What are those steps? Do you just run Apache Ant? If so, is the `checkdistrubution` step important? It seems that there are no jar files required to perform this step in the repo. Probably it's a non open source library mentioned in this issue

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Alexander,

I have to admit I'm not 100% familiar with all the details of what happens at this stage - one of my colleagues usually does this.

But from memory, I think that we are just packaging up some files (putting the plugins together into ZIPs, and merging delivery files together for efficiency), and then removing the files that went into those packages/merged files. 

We also strip out code that's related to the test suite, as that's not needed in the end product.