No statistics after upgrade

aphillips

I recently upgraded our old OpenX installation to the latest Revive code. The upgrade process went fine (only error was workflow plugin which is normal per documentation). All my banners, users, campaigns, etc. still exist. But now, after the upgrade, I no longer see statistics on the statistics page. I see some for yesterday's date (when I made the upgrade), but none for the hours after the update nor any for today.

I've followed the steps here: https://documentation.revive-adserver.com/display/DOCS/No+Statistics

The plugin is installed and enabled (even reinstalled it to be sure), maintenance is running, but there are no entries for any of my `ox_data_bkt_*` tables. These are completely empty.

Our installation for serving promos runs on one server, the management UI runs on a separate server (sharing code via NFS) but they two servers connect to the same database.

I am - I'm monitoring the connections to the new database and I see activity that would otherwise not exist with the ads serving out of it.

Also, the old DB host name is not a valid DNS name for the new servers.

Also, just to clarify, the maintenance.php script requires a host as the first argument. But the management UI and the actual servers serving the promos are 2 different host names. 1. which server should the maintenance script be running on (or all of them?) and 2. which hostname to i pass as the argument?

Thanks for the quick reply

On 9/23/2017 at 1:21 AM, aphillips said:

Also, just to clarify, the maintenance.php script requires a host as the first argument. But the management UI and the actual servers serving the promos are 2 different host names. 1. which server should the maintenance script be running on (or all of them?) and 2. which hostname to i pass as the argument?

Hi @aphillips,

1. It doesn't actually matter which server the maintenance script runs on - indeed, you could even run the maintenance script on a completely independent server dedicated to the task of running maintenance, if you wanted to (although there's no reason to do so!), or you could run the maintenance script on the database server (again, there's no real reason to do so). All that really matters to be able to correctly run maintenance is that:

• The Revive Adserver code is in place (so that the code is there to run); and
  • The code be in a valid state with a configuration file (that is, when you install Revive Adserver, it makes some changes to file system as it comes out of the unpacked release package, and creates a configuration file for you - these changes and the configuration file need to be in place for the maintenance script to be able to run).

You only need to run the maintenance script on one server, though. There's no benefit in having it run in multiple locations (although it should not matter if you do, because the maintenance process should create a lock for the data to ensure that only one process updates stats at a time).

2. The hostname you pass in as an argument needs to be one that works as a valid configuration for that code base - so, it depends on your configuration file(s). If, on both servers that you have, you have both configuration files for your two hostnames, so that either server COULD serve traffic for either hostname (and you just separate which server does what based on routing), then it doesn't matter - the hostname simply tells Revive Adserver which configuration file to use. After the configuration file is selected based on the hostname, all that matters are the database connection details (and various other settings in there). 

However, if your two servers only have one configuration file each, for the specific hostname they work with, then the maintenance parameter hostname argument needs to match the hostname that each server is configured to use.

On 9/23/2017 at 3:23 AM, aphillips said:

Also, I'm running `tcpdump` on the machine now, and I don't see ANY insert/update queries running across the network inferface for port 3306. Only selects (and not even those when memcached is enabled).

In that case, the first place I would be checking is to ensure that for the server(s) that perform banner delivery:

1. Is there a configuration file in place that matches the hostname you are using for delivery?

2. Is that configuration file set up with valid database connection details?

3. Using those details, can you manually connect to the database from the delivery server?

4. Using that connection, can you manually insert data into the data_bkt_* tables?