Campaign/Banner Probability in Chained Zones

I have a listing of ads that are displayed in a column of 5 zones. I am assuming that the zone in the top position is more likely to get clicked, so I want ads from campaigns with higher weights to be more likely to be displayed at the top of the column. For the sake of discussion, I'll call the top zone, Zone 1, and the bottom zone, Zone 5.

• I use zone chaining and link all campaigns to the top zone so that any banners not shown in the top zone are shown in a zone below it, and so on, and so forth.
  • Zone 2 is chained to Zone 1, Zone 3 is chained to Zone 2, Zone 4 is chained to Zone 3, etc.
  • The invocation code has the "Don't show the banner again on the same page" and "Don't show a banner from the same campaign again on the same page" parameters set to yes.

I've tried adjusting the weights of the campaigns, but can't seem to affect the order of the banners that are shown. For example, I can set all campaigns to weight 1, except for one that is set to 100. When I look at Zone 1's probabilities, I can see that the banner from the campaign with weight 100 has a higher probability than the others. However, the campaign with higher weight seems to show up randomly in the zone list. Certainly not consistently near the top. Does anyone have any advice on how to influence the order in which the campaign's banners are shown?

It should also be said, that all campaigns being used are remnant campaigns.

• 1 month later...

I think you got zone chaining and weights wrong.

1. Zone chaining means that if a zone can't deliver any banner, the chained one will be tried as a fallback.
  2. Weights for remnants are simple proportions. If there are two campaigns with weights 1 and 3, they will have respectively 25% and 75% probability of being displayed. Once a campaign is picked a similar math applies to the banners in a single campaign.

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond.

I think that I understand weights and probability: Let's call the campaign from your example with weight 3, Campaign A, and the campaign with weight 1, Campaign B. Both campaigns are linked to Zone 1 from my example. For any given page view a banner from Campaign A should be in Zone 1 75% of the time, correct?

I also think that I understand chaining: Let's say that for a certain page view a banner from Campaign A is shown in Zone 1. A banner from Campaign B should be shown in Zone 2, since Zone 2 was empty and chained to Zone 1.

Correct me if I am wrong. Are you saying that chaining and weights are incompatible with each other?

14 minutes ago, sikjoy said:

I think that I understand weights and probability: Let's call the banner from your example with weight 3, Banner A, and the banner with weight 1, Banner B. Both banners are linked to Zone 1 from my example. For any given page view Banner A should be in Zone 1 75% of the time, correct?

Correct. But only if A and B belong to the same campaign.

I also think that I understand chaining: Let's say that for a certain page view Banner A is shown in Zone 1. Banner B should be shown in Zone 2, since Zone 2 was empty and chained to Zone 1.

Correct.

Correct me if I am wrong. Are you saying that chaining and weights are incompatible with each other?

No. Now that I have a clearer idea of what you're trying to do, I just think you didn't take campaign weights into account.

I'm trying to use campaign weights to affect the order in which banners are shown in the list, but it doesn't seem to be working.

In my 2nd response, I used the word banner when I meant to say campaign. I've since corrected the post. My apology if that caused any confusion.

The test setup was:

• Campaign A, weight 99, single text banner, banner weight irrelevant
  • Campaign B, weight 1, single text banner, banner weight irrelevant
  • Text Zone 1, linked to both campaigns, chained to Zone B
  • Text Zone 2, empty
  • Test page with two async tags with the "do not show the same banner" flag.

Zone 1 was pretty much always showing A, while Zone 2 was showing B. To be fair you don't even need chained zones: just repeat the tag for zone 1, unless you need to keep track of the "positions".

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Matteo. I greatly appreciate that you have taken the time to help.

On 6/28/2016 at 10:30 PM, Matteo Beccati said:

To be fair you don't even need chained zones: just repeat the tag for zone 1, unless you need to keep track of the "positions".

If chaining is not needed, how do I designate the zone that will be given the highest priority? Basically, how does Revive Adserver "know" which zone is the top zone and which is the bottom zone?