Insert ads into Google Accelerated Mobile Pages (html AMP)

Hello, like Facebook Instant Pages (read here) i'm writing about compatibility with Google Amp Pages.

Two weeks ago, during International Journalism Festival in Perugia, i met Luca Forlin responsible for Europe, the Middle East and Africa of Google strategic partnership in the news and information industry.

I asked him some questions about google amp pages adserver compatibility (read supported supported ad networks) and he answered me that i have to ask to adserver development team to add support for amp pages.

Is it possible to support google amp pages?

thank you :)

• 2 months later...

There is no such thing as a "new" OpenX. OpenX is a company that operates several hosted services. Up to the summer of 2013, there was also an open source product called "OpenX Source", but that was transferred to this project and renamed to Revive Adserver. The link you included therefor won't help anyone running Revive Adserver.

Yes. I know that. I have been using OpenX Source for a los time and before that phpadsnew, and now Revive Adserver.

With new OpenX I want to mean that company. I don't know what software they are using in their services.

Reading the link

https://github.com/ampproject/amphtml/blob/master/ads/openx.md

you can see that there is a parameter to set the host where the adserver is running. That makes me think that  OpenX was the open source OpenX. 

Of course i have try it with my private versión of OpenX and don't work.

Inserting javascripts inside the AMP works. I have to try what happens when the page is cached at google amp cache 

• 5 months later...

Ok, let's get it clear,

Can Revive be compatible with AMP ? Is there a plan to make it compatible in the near future?
I think that good number of Revive users are working on media websites, and AMP is a good opportunity for electronic medias and will be soon some kind of standard.

Personally, the only solution i've got is to use the <amp-iframe> tag BUT, it wont let me put my ad on the top of a page because of the AMP restrictions.

the only "clean" way to do it is to use the <amp-ad> tag like this :

<amp-ad width="728" height="90"
      type="revive"
      data-auid="12345"
      data-host="revive.mydomain.com">
</amp-ad>

the data-auid should call for a zone and not for an AD

I seriously think that Revive should be listed here : https://github.com/ampproject/amphtml/tree/master/ads

Edited by Mojrem

• 3 weeks later...

Hi @Mojrem,

1. Yes, I don't see why Revive Adserver could be made to be compatible with AMP, from what I understand of AMP.

2. No, the core team don't currently have any plans to make it compatible in the near future.

But we do want to see more development done on Revive Adserver, and done faster than it is at the moment, so this might be something that could be done. Stay tuned to our website for an update.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/5/2017 at 10:14 PM, andrewatfornax said:

But we do want to see more development done on Revive Adserver, and done faster than it is at the moment, so this might be something that could be done. Stay tuned to our website for an update.

Hi @Mojrem,

If you haven't noticed, Revive Adserver is now on Patreon - if you would like, you can sign up as a patron, and help us add more features, faster!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi @andrewatfornax

I just saw revive page on Pateron, thank you Andrew,

First, i need to explain again, that AMP is intented for news websites, logically a great part of revive users as news websites need ads to make some profit.

As a web designer, i can guarantee that it will be a great opportunity for revive to be AMP compatible.

I will try to donate ASAP on Pateron ( in the next few days)

Thank you again for the positive answer.

Edited by Mojrem

• 5 months later...

Has there been any movement on this for google AMP compatibility? AMP is increasingly a big deal. At present the only insertion method at all is iFrame. And that cannot be near top, or middle of content, and Google doesn't like them. Google wants us to use the amp-ad tag. How much money would it take to do this? I'll consider funding it entirely. 

Hi @dmccreary,

No, there hasn't been any formal movement on support for AMP yet. The core team has had a little bit of time to start looking into what we think would be required, but it's not a huge amount of progress yet. As a result, I don't think we're even at the point where we could estimate the total effort required.

However, if you're keen to support Revive Adserver financially, and help us move forward with this (and other) new features, then please do sign up as a Patreon member, as that's the best way we have to help us spend more time on the project!

Thanks.

• 10 months later...