Distributed maintenance - is it still possbile?

Hello everyone,

Looks like  in the past Revive adserver was able to use distributed maintenance - as I understand - It was saving current data locally in the databases on each server and later aggregating to one database? Was it so? And is it still possible? If so, where I can find documentation about that? Now I'm at the limit of one database, so I want to scale it horizontally.

Thanks a lot and sorry for my English.

Yes, distributed maintenance is still available, but setting it up requires a pretty large set of skills, not just related to Revive Adserver but also about servers, MySQL replication, and so on.

People usually start to think about scaling, in order to improve performance and uptime, when their daily ad delivery volumes start to increase beyond a few hundred million impressions a month. At what level are you?

12 hours ago, Erik Geurts said:

People usually start to think about scaling, in order to improve performance and uptime, when their daily ad delivery volumes start to increase beyond a few hundred million impressions a month. At what level are you?

Hi Erik, thank you for the answer.
Yes, we have about 300 millions of daily impressions and we are growing, so we are looking to any possibility to scale our database horizontally. Right now we are using PostgreSQL so simple MySQL master-master isn't a solution.

2 hours ago, Alex R said:

Yes, we have about 300 millions of daily impressions and we are growing, so we are looking to any possibility to scale our database horizontally. Right now we are using PostgreSQL so simple MySQL master-master isn't a solution

That's a nice problem to have!

Yes, I see your point about wanting to scale horizontally. Distributed statistics, as a concept, is what is needed. Unfortunately, distributed statistics won't work on Postresql (I just checked with fellow Revive Adserver core project team member Matteo Beccati).

There are other options, though. If you like we could have a conversation about your requirements and how my company could help you to meet them. For example, we've got a piece of software (a Revive Adserver plugin actually) that uses nosql for caching and raw delivery statistics logging, and intermediate maintenance steps. We use this at huge scale on our hosting platform at https://www.aquaplatform.com too.

You can contact me via the form at https://www.aquaplatform.com/contact/ and I'll get back to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Alex R,

Just to chime in - I used to have to manage a distributed system of Revive Adserver back in the day (when it was OpenX), and while horizontal scaling is definitely a good idea, the distributed statistics that was implemented for MySQL was not a lot of fun to manage - it needed a lot of manual TLC to make sure it was always up and running - so while I sympathise with your need to scale, I would avoid distributed stats at all costs, if you can!