How to avoid duplicate ads with Single Page Call

renato_webquest

Hello guys,

I'm currently running into an issue with IE9 that made move away from Asynchronous Javascript invocation to Single Page Calls.

With the async method we can set a data "revive-block" attribute to the "ins" tags (e.g.: <ins data-revive-zoneid="5" data-revive-block="1" data-revive-id="12decfb34af12a3d78db95553aa9a274"></ins>) to avoid ads being duplicated if the same zone is called more than once. How can I accomplish the same behavior with Single Page Call?

I checked the documentation multiple times however I couldn't find any references regarding this issue. Any help is appreciated!

Thank you in advance.

Renato.

Hello Erik,

Much appreciated your response.

Although I agree with you that IE9 is not a browser with a long life left, we still have a lot of costumers that are still using it and unfortunately we need to support it until is finally discontinued by Microsoft. Can't wait for this day to arrive :-)

The snippet below works without a problem in any modern browser but IE9:

<!-- Zone: Tour - Featured Footers (Desktop) -->
<ins data-revive-zoneid="4" data-revive-id="12decfb34af12a3d78db95553aa9a274"></ins>
<script async src="//reviveserver.com/www/delivery/asyncjs.php"></script>

I'm not sure what could be possibly wrong here... Keep in mind that we may have multiple zones on the page and the Asynchronous Javascript might be called more than once. Do you think this could be the culprit? Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance.

Renato.

Hello Erik,

Any thoughts about this issue? As I said, it works on every modern browser but IE9... I tried creating a blank page with just the Revive Asynchronous call and below is the error I'm getting in the console log:

SCRIPT438: Object doesn't support property or method 'keys' 
asyncjs.php, line 1 character 126

The only way I could make this work was using SPC.

Renato.

And how would you suggest to load two banners from the same zone sequentially (without repeating) using the traditional Javascript tag? Do I need to call the whole snippet twice or is there a query string I can use?

For instance, below you can find how I'm able to accomplish what I need with either ASYNC JS or SPC:

ASYNC JS

<ins data-revive-zoneid="5" data-revive-block="1" data-revive-id="12decfb34af12a3d78db95553aa9a274"></ins>
<ins data-revive-zoneid="5" data-revive-block="1" data-revive-id="12decfb34af12a3d78db95553aa9a274"></ins>
<script async src="//reviveserver.com/www/delivery/asyncjs.php"></script>
SPC

<script>
    var OA_zones = {
        'zone-5-1': 5,
        'zone-5-2': 5
    };
</script>
<script src="//reviveserver.com/www/delivery/spcjs.php?block=1"></script>
<script>
    OA_show('zone-5-1');
    OA_show('zone-5-2');
</script>

Thank you in advance.

Renato.

• 2 years later...

I just switched to SPC because of the bad performance of asyncJS. The banners are not there instantly. I read about the fact, that async JS is as good as SPC without the disadvantages of asyncJS.

So what is the trick? Use only the <ins> line without the <script...> line for each banner?