Mailchimp

ryanqmix

We use MailChimp and have started to flow ads into our email. The problem is I do not know how to create a random number with mailchimp. So anytime I change banners I have to edit my MialChimp template. Surly there is a way around this? I have a zone set up and about 3 banners linked to that zone. I know if I set Revive to an email zone I can only link 1 banner at a time.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi @ryanqmix,

I am not clear - why do you have to edit your MailChip template whenever you change banners?

The idea is that with an email zone, you can set this up, and in the emails you send, the banner you have linked to the zone will be displayed.

If you change that banner (either manually, or by setting appropriate campaign start/end dates), then the banner should change when users view the email (caching aside, if MailChip won't let you set a random number in the URL every time the email is sent).

I have to change the random number manually in the MailChimp template to allow the banners to cycle because I am using the JavaScript embed because I have more than 1 banner that I need to link. It is my experience and understanding that the email zone will only allow you to link one banner at a time. Therefore I am setting up a regular zone and cycling in 5 banners to one zone that will display randomly.

If I do not manually create a random number the banner does get cached in every browser and many computers that I personally tested. Even when you change a banner the image link remains the same therefore the image is cached. The banner in your inventory changes but not in the cached version on individual browsers.

No MailChimp does not allow or is willing to share a way to randomly generate a number.

If you know of a better way please share. I am beating my head against the keyboard trying to figure this out.

My scenario is this: 5 banners, 1 email zone, 8am daily email, banner needs to randomly display each day.

Thanks again in advance,

Hi @ryanqmix,

I think the reason you are struggling is that this is not going to work.

Email clients (unless things have changed, which I suppose is a possibility) won't let you run JavaScript that's embedded in an email. 

That's why Revive Adserver has a special email zone type - it's there to support what the email clients will allow, and display.