Testing Geotargeting

AzHousePro

Set up a new zone, and link your targeted banner to that zone. The banner is now the only thing that can display there.

Put your zone tag on a non-public page of your website, and go take a look!

If the banner shows up for you, then you've targeted it correctly. If not... Either you're not where you think you are (i.e. the IP to location database isn't accurate), or the IP is not coming through to Revive correctly (i.e. you're going via a proxy that makes it look like you're elsewhere), or you've targeted it incorrectly (or something else is broken!).

• 2 months later...

How  are you showing the  city  for the  banner  in the  delivery limitation....   All I see the  a   field to  type in a city, no drop to choose city\

This is what i  did..

I downloaded   the maxmind  lite   file with the city.  I put  that  DB  in the  plugin  folder where the other maxmind  file  was and renamed this new file   to the  same as    it was... 

/plugins/geoTargeting/oxMaxMindGeoIP/data/GeoIP.dat 

In the  delivery limitation  for the banner....

I see the  options to choose  country for the banner  as well as many more   options.  but   when I chose  USA>     there is  only a field to enter  a city,  no drop  down-

Do you  have a drop down.  When  I enter  the city Boca Raton,  it does not  help  to show the banner in  my  home town.

This is what i  did..

I downloaded   the maxmind  lite   file with the city.  I put  that  DB  in the  plugin  folder where the other maxmind  file  was and renamed this new file   to the  same as    it was... 

/plugins/geoTargeting/oxMaxMindGeoIP/data/GeoIP.dat 

Ah. No.

What you want to do is put any additional MaxMind files somewhere on disk that Revive Adserver will have access to, and then, as an administrative user, go to the Plugins tab, then find the MaxMind GeoIP Plugin. Click on its Details link, then the Settings link.

Here, you can define where all the different files are located that are supported for different targeting types.

• 1 month later...

So  this is a  limit  of the  plugin,  where I can  not chose a  predefined  list of cities  based on a state,  but  need to type in a city  and  hope it is the correct state and also ......

Furthermore this is no reliable way to  even  use the  plugin, since there is not   a guarantee  the city  I  type   in  will  be in the DB.

Granted,  if I bought the  maxmind  DB, it should be there,   but it is a bit of a sloppy  way to  chose a city ---  typing and hoping.

But thanks for  your help!  I appreciate it!

The way you set it up, it is supposed to show the banner only in a specific DMA, not all of Texas.

EXACTLY  my point!!

so why  is it showing In FLORIDA?   (since you  are not from USA....   fyi  Florida is a state,  Texas is state. )

If it is ONLY  supposed to show  to a DMA  in  Texas ?

Edited by bocadave

So  this is a  limit  of the  plugin,  where I can  not chose a  predefined  list of cities  based on a state,  but  need to type in a city  and  hope it is the correct state and also ......

Correct, that is a limitation of the plugin - but also, if I remember correctly, that's due to the underlying geo database, which doesn't have a mechanism for obtaining the list of cities that are supported, nor having a hierarchy of the states they are in (where, of course, the city is even in a state, because not all countries have states... which is probably why the geo database doesn't have such a hierarchy!)

Furthermore this is no reliable way to  even  use the  plugin, since there is not   a guarantee  the city  I  type   in  will  be in the DB.

Also, yes, technically correct.

EXACTLY  my point!!

so why  is it showing In FLORIDA?   (since you  are not from USA....   fyi  Florida is a state,  Texas is state. )

If it is ONLY  supposed to show  to a DMA  in  Texas ?

Well, because, unfortunately, geo targeting is not an exact science. There are a few possibilities:

1. You're not using the paid database, so, the database is deliberately not as up to date and accurate as the commercial database (to give you an incentive to pay);

2. You are using the paid database, but the IP address has been re-assigned or moved, and it's not yet up to date; 

3. The database is just wrong; 

4. The database would normally be right, but there's some kind of temporary re-routing going on;

5. There's a proxy that's doing something funny with the IP address, and for some reason, Revive Adserver hasn't been able to detect this and deal with it.

My  Db is free version,  and  I would hate to spend  350$ or so      for paid version    since the plugin itself  has so many limitations.

I wonder if  this plugin  actually works for anyone ?

This site  sells a  geo  plugin http://reviveadservermod.com    

Anyone  hear of them-  they  have  an enormous amount of plugins .... which  kinda of make me nervous-   since it is  not a huge market,  and writing plugins  is not so simple.

Edited by bocadave

Erik-  considering the  issues  i encountered above

• not able to chose a city per state  from a dropdown like DMA, or even auto complete   
  • seeing banner show up  in Florida that was DMA'ed  for  other  markets in  other STATES-  And I changed the markets  and still same issue

I wish  it would work  ....

just  fine

Set up a new zone, and link your targeted banner to that zone. The banner is now the only thing that can display there.

Put your zone tag on a non-public page of your website, and go take a look!

If the banner shows up for you, then you've targeted it correctly. If not... Either you're not where you think you are (i.e. the IP to location database isn't accurate), or the IP is not coming through to Revive correctly (i.e. you're going via a proxy that makes it look like you're elsewhere), or you've targeted it incorrectly (or something else is broken!).

I  tried this as well  for this page

http://beta.florida.com/priceline/5.htm

If you see  a green  200x200  banner,  it means  it does not work  unless you are from  Honolulu Hi.   And if you  are from  there,  you  are lucky !

FYI  just  upgraded to 3.2.4  and  it went  perfect

Edited by bocadave