Problem With Contract Campaigns

JPG

Yes on the remnant campaigns.

I use Server Stack to run my ad server. They advertised as OpenX experts. I have asked them numerous times to check the maintenance script and they assure me that it is running properly.

We used OpenX for many years on our own servers without problems, but between growth and hacking issues we decided to give Server Stack a try.

This happens with every contract campaign I start in every zone. Is there anything other than the maintenance script that would be causing the problem? I've been getting by weighting remnant campaigns, but that isn't going to work any more. I sure would like to get this resolved.

Hi,

It is now easier to solve your issue. Let me first explain you the reason why the issue occurs. Once you allot start and end date for your campaign to be active, and number of impressions that can made within that time span- it calculates how many impressions can be made per day.If number of impressions made crosses beyond the limit, it shows empty banner.So to solve it, you can either reduce your Campaign end date(number of days your campaign will be active) or you can increase the impression count.

That doesn't make sense. You set a start date and an end date and it should serve the impressions evenly over the time frame. That's how every ad server works. If you set a campaign to serve 600,000 impressions over 6 months, it should serve around 100,000 impressions a month.

The primary purpose of ad serving software is to serve contract campaigns.

Thanks for the effort elizarao, but you are not seeing the issue. I have no problem with empty banners. My problem is that contract campaigns will not deliver evenly over the term of the contract.

Matteo or Andrew, I would appreciate some input!

It appears your operation interval is 5 minutes. That's a pretty bad idea and I would suggest to revert back to 1hr.

In the tables above one can easily see that the ad was requested to deliver only ~15 imps every 5 minutes. If the zone gets let's say 1000 imps during that 5 minutes, serving twice as much (30) would be a 1.5% error which would be normally considered very good. A more than likely 5% error rate would mean serving 65 imps for that ad in that zone every 5 minutes, four times more than what it was expected to get. And you're ending up with the system trying to turn the banner on and off and misbehaving.

Operation Interval aside, the target for the banner might be anyway too small for Revive to accurately hit it on a high traffic zone.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Is maintenance properly running? Do you also have at least one remnant campaign (with no capping / targeting) linked to your zones?

Sorry to jump in on this thread - but does this make a big difference in regards to campaign impressions served?

I'm having some issues with impressions counts (under delivery), but I don't have any remnant campaigns (with no targetting) in the same zone - all my remnants are targeted differently... (different countries, different campaigns)

Sorry to jump in on this thread - but does this make a big difference in regards to campaign impressions served?

I'm having some issues with impressions counts (under delivery), but I don't have any remnant campaigns (with no targetting) in the same zone - all my remnants are targeted differently... (different countries, different campaigns)

Yes, it makes a huge difference. If Revive cannot serve any banner when a zone is fetched, that blank impression is currently not counted. Which means that Revive will think the zone has less impressions available then there actually are.

At least until https://github.com/revive-adserver/revive-adserver/issues/266 is fixed, which will probably be for 3.1.0, as it's a significant behaviour change that's not desirable for the next 3.0.x

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you very much Matteo! We are trying that.

Please let us know how you get on! The option for changing the operation interval was introduced for a specific need way back in the day, but unfortunately, unless you have amazingly high traffic volumes, reducing the OI from the default of 60 minutes tends to cause issues, because the (relatively) small number of impressions per OI means the maintenance script struggles to do a good job.

Note that changing the OI will mean it takes a while for Revive Adserver to "learn" what the new impressions/OI values are, so don't expect instant and immediate results.

One other tip might be to add some delivery capping to the banners, so that you only show each banner a few times a day (e.g.) to any given user. That can really help prevent over-delivery by thinning out the number of impressions that are possible. 

HTH!