Performance issues and VPS going down twice a day

Hello,

We have 115M impressions per month. Our VPS configuration is : 8 CPU, 18 Gb Ram, 100Mb/s bandwidth.

Despite of the performance of the VPS, it is taken down by Revive at least twice a day. On the monitoring, we can see that the CPU usage is (monthly average) at 50%, the server load at 50% too. We have 180 hits/sec on the server. We can also see that the MySql requests are about 50-100/sec for INSERT, and 800/sec for QUESTIONS (what are mysql questions ?).

Our VPS console doesn't have any Memory monitoring, but I've created mine, and I can see that the free memory is going down for about 600Mo per hour, while the available memory is stable at 16Gb.

Have you any thoughts or advices about this situation ? We already have contacted our hosting support, they say that the application (revive) is too greedy and does not free memory correctly.. they also say that the memory consumption crashes the server, then it reboots.

What do you think ?

Attachments are monthly server monitoring.

cpu_usage.png

load_average.png

mysql_usage.png

network_usage.png

• 4 weeks later...

Hi.

With 115M impressions per month you should be fine to order dedicated server for the advertisements purposes. There are some limits on virtual servers, even with full virtualization.

If your issue is still actual, feel free to get in contact with me - I am professional System Administrator, i specialize on high-loaded (web)applications and can help you to build efficient infrastructure to handle the load.

• 2 months later...

Hi @Meo,

Well, PHP actually starts up and shuts down completely on each page load - so, it's not like a continuously running Java or C application or something where memory leaks are an issue. However, your web server may not start up and shut down a processing thread for every page load, for efficiency reasons, and so PHP memory management issues may build up as a result.

You could look at the settings for your web server's thread management, as you can often configure things like how many web requests each web server thread should handle before it is shut down and a new one started up - this may help, if the issue is a slow growth of total memory being used.

The other thing, however, may just be that your web server is configured to allow more threads to be started up (when needed) than the server can cope with, and so this issue is happening due to a periodic increase in traffic to the server?