Monitor Or Limit Impressions For An Account

I want to use one adserver install for several clients. I want to charge them a monthly rate but I want to cap the number of impressions on that month, so the server can be upgraded at the same time as the clients grow and the business does not die before starts. 

I cannot find any way to measure that data. 

Do you have any suggestions? Like reading monthly reports manually or things like that?

Thank you!

I have found that on the reporting there is a nice view of the impressions by account.  Not the requests though.

Do you know how can I get that number on real time, on the database or via API?

The idea is to check that number every 24hours and automatically send a notification or create a bill or do something with it.

I know how to do the notification and billing, I just need to know where to get the data from the Adserver. :) 

Thanks

Essentially, you are considering to start a hosting business. Very good! We've been doing that for years for hundreds of customers. You should be prepared to work 24/7 from day 1.

My company has developed an application called "Ad Server Hosting Dashboard", it does several things, including retrieving and displaying the relevant statistics of all the ad server instances we host for our customers. By relevant, I mean the statistics needed for invoicing. We don't do that in real time, that is silly in my opinion. Once a day slightly after midnight is sufficient.

In your case, I don't see how it would be helpful to attempt blocking things if a customer goes over their monthly maximum. Think about it, you might consider them to be over their max, but the site doesn't know that and will continue to send requests to the ad server. Instead, this would be the perfect opportunity to sell them a larger plan. But the easiest model is to just charge customers for the actual usage after the end of the month.

Essentially, you are considering to start a hosting business. Very good! We've been doing that for years for hundreds of customers. You should be prepared to work 24/7 from day 1.

My company has developed an application called "Ad Server Hosting Dashboard", it does several things, including retrieving and displaying the relevant statistics of all the ad server instances we host for our customers. By relevant, I mean the statistics needed for invoicing. We don't do that in real time, that is silly in my opinion. Once a day slightly after midnight is sufficient.

In your case, I don't see how it would be helpful to attempt blocking things if a customer goes over their monthly maximum. Think about it, you might consider them to be over their max, but the site doesn't know that and will continue to send requests to the ad server. Instead, this would be the perfect opportunity to sell them a larger plan. But the easiest model is to just charge customers for the actual usage after the end of the month.

Hey Erik,

Thats exactly right. Thank you for taking your time helping here, it is really appreciate because you know your business better than anyone. :D

Some comments:

I never said I want to block the costumer, when I said cap I was thinking on billing numbers, to make sure we have prices for the different "limits". I only need to know the numbers to change the plan for the next bill. 

Also, I agree with you I do not need real time, just check every 24 hours is fine as I said on my latest comment. :) 

In fact, checking the ammount at the end of the month is more than enough, and charge for that ammount.

All this brings us to the first question:

How can I measure the request made on a month (or the latest 24h?)

Thanks!

• 4 months later...