Simple Responsive Ads

Hi apologies if this has been asked before. I have trawlled through many pages of support but I haven't managed to find what I am after.

I would like for my banner ads to be set to display at the full width of the space available. In particular I would like to drop the invocation code for my leaderboard (728x90) into my wordpress editorial content which is 620 wide on a desktop. I would like this ad to show the whole banner regardless of whether on a phone or desktop etc.

I'm hoping there is a simple snippet of code I need to add to make this happen?

I really hope you can help?

Cheers

Tom

• 6 months later...

I would like for my banner ads to be set to display at the full width of the space available. In particular I would like to drop the invocation code for my leaderboard (728x90) into my wordpress editorial content which is 620 wide on a desktop. I would like this ad to show the whole banner regardless of whether on a phone or desktop etc.

Right, so, you want your banner to be responsive - to scale the size of the content down (or up, possibly) depending on the user's screen dimensions - or perhaps to select from a range of different zone sizes, depending on screen dimensions.

Revive Adserver doesn't have anything built in for this at the moment.

Your choices are:

* Set up a zone for each size banner you want to display, and write your own code to decide which zone tag to include, depending on display size; or

* Set up a *x* sized zone, and use an HTML banner that's responsive of its own right.

• 1 year later...

Hi @giantstep,

This is still the case. However, I can assure you, the core team are not stubborn people (well, okay, maybe sometimes!). Rather, we are just people who need to eat. We have jobs, and we have to spend time at those jobs, so that we can eat.

However, there is good news! You can help us to spend less time at our jobs, so that we can both eat, and spend more time working on the project - which means that (if we can get enough people helping out as well), we will be glad to implement these kind of new features!

Help us out here: https://www.patreon.com/revive_adserver

Maybe this way?
Targeting Channels -> Targeting Channel properties -> Delivery Options

EDIT: What is when I define:
"Client - Operating System Version": Android -> Any Version
"Client - Operating System Version": iOS -> Any Version

So what I have to choose?
When I choose "and" the mean iOS + Android + AT ?

gggrrrrr sssooo frustrating!!!
This system sucks. The Manual sucks...
Why nobody can explane to me how it works?!

How I can link anything to the Targeting Channels?!

I dont understand the system. Its not logical...

WTF...
Advertiser: My Ads Project > Campaign: ... -> Banner
Add delivery limitation: 
Why here again?! That make no scene at all....

Edited by Display Name

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2017 at 2:21 AM, Display Name said:

Is there any way to check the Useragent and change the Ad to a small size?

Hi @Display Name,

Not within Revive Adserver, no!

But you could certainly do it outside of Revive Adserver - that is, detect the useragent, and then input the appropriate zone tag, depending on what you require.

@andrewatfornax I sent the patreon link to my boss. Not sure he will have the patience to wait, given the seriousness of the missing feature. 60% of our traffic is mobile. 

In the meantime, I still have to figure out how to make the ad work on mobile. When I try to set the width to 100% it just does not get honored. Not sure why, this worked in the past. I tried to set it as !important but it still does not work. I only have one 1 ad to work with currently, I will continue to try to get it to respond to screen changes and post here any solution I can find. 

If a solution can be found and stickied on this site, I think it will hold people off for a while until you guys get the time and money to build. Right now, I am in the dark and spent hours already trying to get a banner to work with percentages... 

Someone somewhere must have found a solution. Maybe using js?

Just to chime in.

There are two ways to deal with this:

A) use a script in the ad unit (make sure to clear the "This banner can be safely displayed inside an iframe (e.g. is not expandable)" otherwise it will not work. You can then use css media queries to resize the ad container (you will need to create a div around the <ins> tag used by the async code. You can NOT do this with iframes or the traditional document.write code) 

B) set the media queries in CSS to display:none the ad units that you do not want to render at that size. This actually does work, but will not work the way you expect it to if you're using header bidding (since header bidding will still make all the queries even if it's not rendered.)

The preferred option is to just have an ahead-of-time script delete the <ins> units that won't be displayed before asyncjs is run, but if the client resizes the window, they won't come back, hence you can use the css queries to display:none them, but because asyncjs has already run, the ads will not change. 

I don't believe revive has a way of "refreshing" or "deferring" ad load like below

googletag.cmd.push(function() { googletag.pubads().disableInitialLoad(); });

googletag.pubads().refresh();

For if it did, this would be easily solved by pausing the initial load, changing the ad units, then 'refresh' loading the ads. This would also make header bidding easier to manage.

• 1 year later...
On 1/22/2016 at 4:19 AM, andrewatfornax said:

Right, so, you want your banner to be responsive - to scale the size of the content down (or up, possibly) depending on the user's screen dimensions - or perhaps to select from a range of different zone sizes, depending on screen dimensions.

Revive Adserver doesn't have anything built in for this at the moment.

Your choices are:

* Set up a zone for each size banner you want to display, and write your own code to decide which zone tag to include, depending on display size; or

* Set up a *x* sized zone, and use an HTML banner that's responsive of its own right.

I tried putting *x* or x while setting up the width and height of the zone and it is not accepted? Does this solution still work in 2018 . If you put the alphabet x in the width settings, it says "width is not an integer". 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/29/2015 at 7:58 AM, Tom Watts said:

Hi apologies if this has been asked before. I have trawlled through many pages of support but I haven't managed to find what I am after.

I'm hoping there is a simple snippet of code I need to add to make this happen?

I really hope you can help?

Cheers

Tom

I have just installed Revive Ad Server onto my server which uses a wordpress platform and installed the Code Embed plugin. 

After setting up my website, campaign and linking I got my invocation code and used the Code Embed plugin to place it where ever I like. 

When I view it on a mobile phone it always resizes to the viewport being used. 

Even when I resize my browser on a laptop or desktop it always resizes to fit the viewport.  

Not sure if this helps in your case but maybe it is the way you are implementing the invocation code into your wordpress pages. 

• 3 months later...
11 hours ago, MikeMynis said:

What? Not responsive? I just installed Revive, but if it does not support responsive ads, I will remove it faster than I installed it.

Any suggestions?

Hi @MikeMynis

You can make the zone responsive instead.
You set stars * in the zone sizes and the responsive ads will actually size up or down by themselves as in the below screenshot.

image.png

However you cannot for now set the banners as responsive. It's a long waited feature.

Any updates on that topic by the way @andrewatfornax please? ?

Kind regards
AngryWarrior

Hi, @AngryWarrior, thanks for replying. What you mean is scaling the ad size based on the window or container width, which is not exactly what I need. Sorry if I explained not well enough.

What I mean with responsive is not simply resizing or scaling banners based on their container, or screensize, but actually showing a 300x250 banner on mobile and for example a 728x90 on desktop.

I see no way to get this done in revive.

Edited by MikeMynis

I do understand you @MikeMynis and this is something that both I and many others here have requested, but so far we are all waiting for the Revive dev team to do something about it. 

So this is the best option and temporary solution meanwhile until this very sought out feature is eventually rolled out. 

Maybe @andrewatfornax can enlighten us in in the community about this... We have all been waiting for this feature for a very long time.. ?

Kind regards
AngryWarrior

I understand. However, I see that this is a request from years ago and many people have asked for it. 
So I will not wait. I also ran into other issues, like impressions and clicks not counted or counted incorrectly.

So all together, my conclusion is that this software is more a toy, than a serious ad server.

Stats cannot be trusted and cannot be reset, and it's missing crucial features.

So I'm gonna move on. I don't wanna invest time in something that is not finished, full of bugs and simply not up to the task of serving ads in a professional way.

Thanks,
I'm off....

• 1 year later...
On 8/14/2021 at 9:27 AM, AngryWarrior said:

Hi @MikeMynis

You can make the zone responsive instead.
You set stars * in the zone sizes and the responsive ads will actually size up or down by themselves as in the below screenshot.

image.png

However you cannot for now set the banners as responsive. It's a long waited feature.

Any updates on that topic by the way @andrewatfornax please? ?

Kind regards
AngryWarrior

@AngryWarrior does this still work? I can't make them responsive (to scale to the width of the container). 

12 minutes ago, isabella said:

Hi @AngryWarrior, thanks for the response. But does it work with images? The zone has the asterisks, but the image still displays the original size, not the size of the container.

Best.

Screenshot-45.png

download-16.png

The whole zone is response so in theory it should work. I mostly use Adsense so I don't work much with images. I tested in the past some affiliate ads which was image banners and it worked fine. I've ditched the affiliate stuff though because it was not very profitable. 

Try and set up an ad test zone and run some of your image in it. It should work fine, but you will of course see it when you run the test for yourself. :-) 

Edited by AngryWarrior

44 minutes ago, AngryWarrior said:

The whole zone is response so in theory it should work. I mostly use Adsense so I don't work much with images. I tested in the past some affiliate ads which was image banners and it worked fine. I've ditched the affiliate stuff though because it was not very profitable. 

Try and set up an ad test zone and run some of your image in it. It should work fine, but you will of course see it when you run the test for yourself. :-) 

Yeah, doesn't work as you can see on the screenshot on my previous message. I still hope they will eventually release a feature for responsiveness though. But thank you again @AngryWarrior

1 hour ago, isabella said:

Yeah, doesn't work as you can see on the screenshot on my previous message. I still hope they will eventually release a feature for responsiveness though. But thank you again @AngryWarrior

Hmm... I can see that you are using fixed CSS values for the image. Have you tried with using percentages instead e.g. 100%?  

Not sure if that will work but using relative values instead might work. You sure won't lose anything by testing it.

On 12/1/2022 at 9:28 AM, AngryWarrior said:

Hmm... I can see that you are using fixed CSS values for the image. Have you tried with using percentages instead e.g. 100%?  

Not sure if that will work but using relative values instead might work. You sure won't lose anything by testing it.

The parent div (.container) of the ad has fixed width but the image cannot be specified to have percentages. Do you mean to apply percentage to all images in css on my webpage instead of revive dashboard( img{ width:100%;height:auto;})? That would work but then the css would apply to all images on my website. You gave me an idea to give attribute to ad on revive alt="resp" and than select on css img[alt=resp]{width:100%;height:auto} on my webpage... hum... that would work. 

download-17.png