Jump to content
DanM2

Revive Killing Cpu In Peak Hours?

Recommended Posts

Earlier this week, I upgraded to 3.2.0 with no issues, however since then, I have noticed performance issues on the server that hosts this program.  It appears that in moments of higher usage, somehow the CPU steal time and CPU system time raise dramatically.  I saw that this could possibly be attributed to the physical machine the server is on, so I moved it to a different one last night.  However there appears to be no change in this behavior.  It also seems that this has been occurring every day on the server, the 3.2.0 update just made me more aware of it.  The reason I believe Revive Adserver has something to do with this, is because none of the other servers I manage show this sort of resource usage, this server only powers Revive Adserver and nothing else, and this is the second time I've moved the virtual server.  I'm not really sure what more I can look into at this point.  A lot of PHP processes under the user account are spawned and usually stick for some time before eventually quelling themselves.  If anyone can provide any assistance or guidance, it would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like there is a hidden/unknown requirement for this software to run on at least two CPU cores.  My issues described above became so great they were killing the server.  Launched an instance with higher resources, and since then, CPU steal time has stayed at 0 for the first time since October.  Granted more time will tell if this is true or not, but I just went from server essentially crash to no issues with no traffic change.  Leaving this here in case someone tries to Google this in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the feedback! 

 

I don't think there is any specific need for Revive Adserver to have any given number of CPU cores - rather, it's more likely that this is simply the level of CPU power your specific installation requires to cope with the load you have.

 

Did you change to asynchronous tags at all? One thought might be that if you did, then Revive Adserver is now trying to do more work in parallel than before (rather than doing all ad serving serially), and so this may have affected the level of performance you need for your specific installation...

 

Hope that helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the response!  It was certainly an oddity, and unfortunately I don't have any detailed server logs from before October to determine if the CPU usage was occurring as I described before moving it to a fresh AWS instance at that point.  I agree about the asynchronous tags causing a change to the performance level which made it noticeable, however it does seem like the irregular CPU usage was happening at a smaller scale prior.  In any case, I'm just glad that it's gone now, with the server seeming to operate closer to what I would expect (CPU system usage is a bit higher than other servers, but the CPU steal time is practically zero which was the big worry).  It could've just been that the usage we get needed a bit more power, we'll probably never know sadly.  Hopefully I'm the only one who has this weird issue, but if not, then maybe this can help someone in the future.  Thanks again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...