Securing Revive

mstuart

• 1 year later...

An alternative to creating a password level protection to the admin folder would be to block all access to the admin area to all except for a few ip address.

This would be in a file called ".htaccess" (or in the httpd.conf) in the www/admin folder

It would look something like this

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On

#####IP Lockdown to prevent Unauthorised access from unauthorised IP

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !/www/admin/unauthorised.html
RewriteCond %{REMOTE_HOST} !^your\.ip\.addr\.ess

RewriteRule $ /www/admin/unauthorised.html [R=404,L]

</IfModule>

Explaination

• This requires the mod_rewrite to be enabled
  • RewriteCond is the condition in which you will be redirected to the rule
  • Remote host is the ip
  • ! - signifiys not this ip address
  • and the rewriterule is to a page to display as a result.

The pros:

You are whitelisting ip addresses that can have access. This works well if you have a fixed ip in an office/home.

If you have a dynamic address though, then you would need to read documentation on the rewrite rule to see if you can include a dyndns in wome way. I have not found out how to do this successfully yet.

The cons:

You could inadvertently lock yourself/or other uses out. Probably not good for everybody using this.

Potential

I guess you could mask the fact that adserver is even installed if you did something with referers but if you have many there again, won't be feasible for everyone.

• 1 year later...

Is there a way to enable logging of sign-in attempts (both good and bad)?   I want a log file to use with fail2ban to lock out bad actors.

Update: Since Revive offers no built-in logging for admin access I added a few lines myself to log failed attempts.

Edited by Neurogami
Updated info

• 4 weeks later...

I run fail2ban to check logs fro a number of sites I host.   There is constant URL sniffing, where I see attempts to access files with names such as admin.php, administrator.php, and the like. 

That the typical software installation uses common, well-known names is a problem.    For one app (a different ad server) I renamed assorted files; I could then watch for 404 errors on failed attempts when bots tried to find files.  The renaming preocess was qite tedious; I had to check all the app files and careful rename hard-coded references to assorted admin pages.

I'm thinking of doing the same for Revive.  Any ideas on the down-side to doing this?  What I really want to do is change the path "www/admin" to something else.  Then have fail2ban look for any attempt to access files using the wrong path.