About Conf.php 644 Permissions

I have 644 permissions for my conf.php. However, when I'm working as Administrator account, I see this message:

It is possible to edit all settings because the configuration file is not locked, but this could lead to security issues. If you want to secure your system, you need to lock the configuration file for this installation.

According to this post http://forum.revive-adserver.com/topic/112-securing-revive/?hl=%2Bconfiguration+%2Bfile , permissions should be 444 for the conf.php file, that means only read permission for everybody.

Do you agree with that?

• 5 weeks later...

Sure, 440 would be ok too. My question is why is 644 suggested in the docs, if it doesn't work (at least for me). 

644 is suggested because it does what you can see - it locks the configuration file from changes. Which is a more secure way to leave things that always allowing the UI to make changes any time - and you can always update the file permissions when you need to make changes. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

For Andrew:  My conf file is set to 644, but I still receive the warning -- as well -- for Version 4.1.1.

Is there a way to remove the warning, and still have the permission on that file set to 644, or are we just stick with having to ignore the warning message?

Sorry, I forgot to turn on the "notify me" feature of this forum. Just did that.