Billing And Payment?

JeffOYB

Hi... I'm trying to get up to speed in using Revive for my advertisers on my website. I used to use OpenX. I have a couple dozen accounts but I haven't yet got everything going well enough to bill people yet. Which brings me to my request.

Why would software like this NOT having billing and payment features?

My clients and I want to track billing and then have their account set up so that they can pay each month for their clicks and impressions. Who would want an adserver that didn't have those features?

Right now it seems like only the RevMax plugin will do this. I'm having trouble installing it right now.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but it just came to me.

The reason why I was surprised that I needed a plugin to handle billing and payments is because THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT OF ADVERTISING!

Maybe I'm missing these features and they're already in Revive somewhere?

• 3 weeks later...

Why would software like this NOT having billing and payment features?

Hi!

Easy question to answer - because of the history of the project. It started out way back when as an open source product to do what was needed - and this really is a long time ago now - and billing & payment simply wasn't a need. Then it was adopted by the company that is now known as OpenX, and again, that company as it developed the software simply didn't need this functionality.

Now that the project has been brought back to the open source community, it's possible that we could add this feature, if there's demand for it, and time and/or funding to make it happen. But as a volunteer-based open source project.... Well, the team does everything it can to make Revive Adserver great, but I can basically guarantee we can't make everyone happy & add every feature. Not unless someone wants to come along and come up with a finance package for it that lets us code full time on the project!

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Henjola,

Not really. However, I got so fed up with misleading half-English descriptions, and non-functional plugins, that I've decided to write my own. This is a work-in-progress with light at the end of the tunnel :)

Hi Richard - did you manage to find out what difference between those two solutions are? It's not apparent from the website...

I hear you, and it sounds terribly familiar... Do we pay $x and accept its going to be crappy and try and fix the gaps, or spend $x*n hacking our own and accept the delay?

Sadly, in our case, we don't have the time. Damn disappointing revive does not have this basic functionality baked in.

The marketplace for this kind of functionality is horrible.  I am really hoping we get some additional payment and billing functionality added too.  

It seems we only have three choices for mods like these:

1. Nothing exists that does what you want, so you have to build it yourself.
  2. Something exists, but it is buggy and still doesn't quite do what you want.
  3. Something exists, but it is expensive, slightly less buggy, and still does not quite do what you want.

And the people who do build great solutions do not sell their code, and just create a website as software as a service.

So frustrating.

• 1 month later...

You can provide admin- and self-signup, with registration fee support for advertisers and publishers, using these plugins. Please note that these are a work-in-progress and features are expanding all the time. Early screenshots here.

Full disclosure: I'm the author/developer.

hey hey!  Looks promising, thanks Richard.

Will certainly check it out soon.

---

Update:  any chance of a demo site to test before purchasing?

• 4 months later...

You can provide admin- and self-signup, with registration fee support for advertisers and publishers, using these plugins. Please note that these are a work-in-progress and features are expanding all the time. Early screenshots here.

This is of course good news, but since the plugins are not free Revive-with-plugins now competes with wpAdcenter and OIOpublisher (for example).

Each of those costs less than the Revive payment plugin; what's the selling point to stick with Revive?  How do they compare?

• 1 month later...

I am also interested in this feature.  Richard those links don't work...  Could you repost? - I'd love to see what you've got.  Thanks

I am also interested in this feature.  Richard those links don't work...  Could you repost? - I'd love to see what you've got.  Thanks

hi V,

at the time of writing, the available plugins are: Signup and Uploads. These are actively used on live site/s, re-priced according to helpful feedback, and will be actively developed and maintained going forward.

The earlier revenue and referral plugins have been abandoned as too-much-hassle-for-the-limited-interest. The local issue which was motivating the development was solved via other means.

HTH.

• 2 years later...