How To Serve Responsive Ads?

bryanwoj

Hello,

We are building a new, responsive version of our site, and we are a bit puzzled with how to convert our ad units to responsive ads. We want our 728x90 ad to be replaced with a 300x50 ad on mobile phone browsers, but cannot figure out the best way to implement this in the site. Any support you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

If you want to display 728x90 for web site user and 300x50 for mobile browser,You can create two zones one for web and another one for mobile.

Detect the browser & OS while web page request,then Dynamically choose any one invocation code

if (Webbrowser)
{

728x90 Invocation code

}

if(Mobile Browser)
{

300x50 Invocation code

}

Standard Mobile  Banner Size 

Android - 300 x 50 , 300 x 480

iOS - 320 x 50 , 320 x 480

Hi bryanwoj

Yes , you can use response js to detect width.

But ,

Ads should be displayed as per zone size & zones should be placed as per page width .

May be this plug-in use full to you

http://code.google.com/p/handset-detection-openx-plugin/

I'm not entirely clear on what you mean with this part of your statement

Please  understand, how  web pages are  rendered/optimized in  mobile browser.

Browser will optimize the page as per mobile screen.

• 9 months later...

@bryanwoj was your experience with respond.js successful? Any advice on how to implement that?

We're using a single page call and a simple piece of javascript to determine page size on load. Our site's tech is developed by a third party, so I was rather hamstrung in what I could do without breaking the site. The problem we ran into is that we couldn't get it to dynamically pop back and forth between multiple sizes, so it just determines the resolution on page load and serves an appropriately sized ad (as was suggested above). Pretty simple:

<script type="text/javascript">

var width = window.innerWidth 
        || document.documentElement.clientWidth 
        || document.body.clientWidth;

if (width > 960) {
        <!--// <![CDATA[
    OA_show('leaderboard'); 
	// ]]> -->
    } else { 
        <!--// <![CDATA[
    OA_show('miniboard'); 
	// ]]> -->
    }

</script>

At the larger size it shows the 728x90 ad, in the smaller size it shows a 300x50. We realized that very few people in the real world are jumping back and forth between breakpoints, so being able to do it on the fly is not a pressing issue. Worst case scenario is that a mobile-sized ad is served on a weird resolution tablet or something like that.

The worst part is that our developer has fully responsive ad implementations available, but you have to pay to use their hosted Open X Server in order to do it. They don't open that up to self hosted ad servers.

• 6 months later...

Maybe it's not too late, I just want to share my trick.

Just put the invocation code in an element, and modify the width/height on parsing.

<div id="some-id">
    <script type='text/javascript'>
        // invocation code here
    </script><noscript><!-- bla bla --></noscript>
</div>
<script>
    $(document).ready(function () {
        var img = $('#some-id').find('img');
        if (typeof (img) !== 'undefined' && img.length > 0) {
            $(img)
                    .removeAttr('width')
                    .removeAttr('height')
                    .addClass('img-responsive'); // eg: twitter bootstrap
        }
    });
</script>

On this case, I didn't care about the downloading size, but only how it's being presented.

Still, the original width + height should exactly match with the zone's size.

• 2 weeks later...

Wondering on how to work that out with the new async invocation code...

I played with height: 0px and display: hidden. These tricks work but I am afraid of using them as I am using banners from networks such as Google AdSense, and they might complain that we are rendering banners in a hidden <div>.

I saw somewhere that we might add a data-field that would "activate" the correct code depending on the resolution, so the banner that won't be displayed won't be rendered/loaded. Still researching:

http://christianheilmann.com/2012/12/19/conditional-loading-of-resources-with-mediaqueries/

Please take a look under "Matchmedia to the rescue". I played with it but couldn't get it to work. I don't know where and how to "trigger" the JavaScript code. I'd appreciate any help.

• 2 months later...

Just put the invocation code in an element, and modify the width/height on parsing.

<div id="some-id">
        // invocation code here
</div>
<script>
            $(img)
                    .removeAttr('width')
                    .removeAttr('height')
        }
    });
</script>

On this case, I didn't care about the downloading size, but only how it's being presented.

Hello @goldsky,

I just want to let you know that this Javascript snippet worked for my websites just fine.

Thank you!

<div id="some-id">
        // invocation code here
</div>
<script>
            $(img)
                    .removeAttr('width')
                    .removeAttr('height')
        }
    });
</script>

Hi, could you explain it more so I will be able to implement this in my own site? What should I put in the  "bla--blaa" part? Can I just leave it blank?

• 1 month later...

Fixed sizes have to do the way the web traditionally works. You have to keep in mind that "responsive" is a somewhat new concept. The web is about 20 years old and we've only seen responsive layouts in the past 2-3 years.

That said, it would be great to have a built-in mechanism to detect the maximum width supported and display a banner that fits that space.

For example, today we can setup a campaign with, say, two banner sizes, 728x90 and 300x250, at the same time. Revive will display the 728x90 banner when this campaign is assigned to a 728x90 zone, and will display the 300x250 banner when this campaign is assigned to a 300x250 zone.

One step further would be the Revive tag to detect the width, and this particular zone would display (for example) the 728x90 banner when the resolution is high enough and the 300x250 banner at lower resolutions.

Currently, there are a few known workarounds to that. You can define zones without a width and height (it is possible, just enter * x *), in this case, both banners (728x90 and 300x250) will be displayed at the zone. Then you can set up banner limitation to display the 300x250 for mobile browsers and the 728x90 banner for non-mobile browsers.

I hope I have helped.

• 2 weeks later...

Currently, there are a few known workarounds to that. You can define zones without a width and height (it is possible, just enter * x *), in this case, both banners (728x90 and 300x250) will be displayed at the zone. Then you can set up banner limitation to display the 300x250 for mobile browsers and the 728x90 banner for non-mobile browsers.

Gabrielt, could you explain this a bit more and/or point me to any documentation? How would you get both banners to display at the zone? I've been thinking through a bunch of different solutions, but I'm curious about what has worked for you.

• 3 months later...

Has  anyone  come  up with  any new  advice for responsive ?

Edited by bocadave

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/4/2015 at 10:45 AM, gabrielt said:

I hope I have helped.

For the solution of setting the width and height of the zone to *x* so that it can accept banner of different sizes, does the solution still work in 2018?