Requesting Ads By Ad Theme Or Classification

csaezl

I'd need to use an ad classification to play in ad selection, say: golf, books, resorts, computers, cars, etc. So ads should have to be classified in advance (zero or multivalued). When the zone request an ad, it could pass (optionally) one or several classification values, so Revive AdServer could use them as a new limitation (i think limitation concept could apply here, although I have not much experience on Revive).

Is there a way of doing this on Revive AdServer?

Thanks,

Carlos

Taking an ad can be classified as "business", "sport", "young", "fashion", the type of classification I need for ads is multivalued, something as country limitation, so I thing it is not possible to use site-variable limitation for that.

Is it possible to add a new limitation similar to country limitation without coding?. That would help

Hi,

The feature you are requested not available in revive Adserver default, can be scripted.

Please let me know, how you will pass the value from zones. For banners, we can add classification from admin section and list on limitation page and set limitations with this classification.

For matching deliver banners with classification, need to pass that classification value from zone code. Whether you will pass classification value in URL of banner delivery page?

Thanks.

As far as I understand how site-variables work in Revive, this can be done, but it's messy. Please correct me if I'm wrong with the following description:

To classify any site, you can create a targeting channel (per website), with some delivery limitation of other. This can then be applied to banners, and easily to all banners in any campaign, from the advertisers perspective. So far so good.

The messy part comes when actually applying any site-channel from the campaign/banner, and you now have to select each website/target individually. This seems to be a fine idea when you are dealing with a single humungous website, but when dealing with many websites this rapidly becomes a nightmare. Let me describe this in another way (and again, please correct me if I'm wrong): What we currently have in Revive:

Targeting channels:

Website-one-is-autos

Website-two-is-food

Website-three-is-autos

Website-four-is-autos

Advertiser campaign banner (must apply all of the following delivery limitations):

Website-one-is-autos

Website-three-is-autos

Website-four-is-autos

What is wanted, is that the banner needs only apply one single "is-autos" delivery limitation, like so:

Advertiser campaign banner (must apply the following delivery limitations):

Website-is-autos

However, currently this cannot be done without specifying each and every single website restriction which is relevant individually. Have I understood this correctly, perhaps Erik/Matteo/other admin/expert can comment?

Answer to: Dave Brain (02 April 2015 - 07:22 PM)

As I've seen on other posts, the selection terms/categories could be passed as:

document.write('&AdCategories='+AdCategoriesValues);

as some of you use to advice how to pass the site variable.

AdCategoriesValues could contain zero or several selection categories in plain text: "", "business", "sport business", with a syntax to be defined, Revive should select a banner if it matches one of the categories.

The category could not exist on Revive since the text for the category could be introduced by a user. Perhaps on the site part a function culd be used to match terms introduced by the user against categories defined on Revive, but this is another story.

AdCategoriesValues could contain zero or several selection categories in plain text: "", "business", "sport business", with a syntax to be defined, Revive should select a banner if it matches one of the categories.

Hi csaezl,  

If you feel difficulties to pass value via invocation tags, then easiest way to use, "Site-Page URL" limitations. You can apply this limitations with contains options and add the category/value need to target. 

Where the banner deliver page, in that URL contains that category/value then matched banners will display.

Like wise use "OR" conditions and add multiple "Site-Page URL" limitations with category/value contains option, then banner will deliver if any one of the URL contains value matched.

Hope this helpful. 

@csaelz

Yes, we can use this at the time of invocation code generation.

document.write('&AdCategories='+AdCategoriesValue);

However, this is a very clunky manual step for this otherwise smooth software. What we really need is a simple field on the Tag Settings page/tab, where you can simply add "site or zone variables". "&x=y&foo=bar&so=on". That this does not exist, (unless I've missed this feature), is crazy (imho).

Cheers.

Answer to: Dave Brain (02 April 2015 - 07:22 PM)

As I've seen on other posts, the selection terms/categories could be passed as:

document.write('&AdCategories='+AdCategoriesValues);

as some of you use to advice how to pass the site variable.

The category could not exist on Revive since the text for the category could be introduced by a user. Perhaps on the site part a function culd be used to match terms introduced by the user against categories defined on Revive, but this is another story.

• 3 years later...